Proverbs is filled with many different types of people. The wise man is someone I would like to talk about today. One thing I have found in the book of Proverbs is that whenever a verse talks about any topic more than once, I should listen to what is being said and try to apply it to my life.
Here are some references I have found about the wise man in Proverbs:
Proverbs 1:5, "A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels:"
Proverbs 10:14, "Wise men lay up knowledge: but the mouth of the foolish is near destruction."
Proverbs 14:16, "A wise man feareth, and departeth from evil: but the fool rageth, and is confident."
Proverbs 21:22, "A wise man scaleth the city of the mighty, and casteth down the strength of the confidence thereof."
I have noticed a few things about a wise man:
1. Anyone can be this man.
• Proverbs 1:5.
• Proverbs was written to anyone willing to apply and learn principles from the Bible.
• He hears first; he doesn't speak first, but listens. He listens with the intent to learn what is being said.
• Wise men are willing to learn from others who have been where they are wanting to go.
2. Wise men take action.
• Proverbs 10:14.
• They listen first; after listening, they lay up knowledge.
• Knowledge is defined as a clear and certain perception of that which exists; or of truth and fact.
• Taking action not always means they are quick to do something, but are learning truth and ready to apply it when the time is needed.
3. Wise men have emotion.
• Proverbs 14:6.
• They fear; they have a healthy respect for what is there.
• They are not timid and afraid; on the opposite end, they are not crazy or wild.
4. Wise men have a work ethic and are not afraid of work.
• Proverbs 21:22.
• Scaling a city is not something you see accomplished every day.
• Physical labor is intense and is not always fun, but a wise man does what is needed from him.
All of us want to be known as a wise man; no one wants to be considered foolish. A major characteristic of a wise man is wisdom. Wisdom isn't something we can buy or find on our own. Wisdom is from God; He gives it to us through His Word and time spent with Him. Take time today to study the book of Proverbs; see what types of people are mentioned and how you can learn from them.
Written by Taylor Ragle