In John 5, we see Jesus explaining to the Jews (who persecuted Him) different witnesses of who He is:
1. The Father bears witness of Christ in John 5:32, "There is another that beareth witness of me; and I know that the witness which he witnesseth of me is true." In John 8:18, "I am one that bear witness of myself, and the Father that sent me beareth witness of me."
2. He tells them John bears witness of Him in John 5:33, "Ye sent unto John, and he bare witness unto the truth." John 1:7 says, "The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe."
3. He tells them His works bear witness of Himself in John 5:36, "But I have greater witness than that of John: for the works which the Father hath given me to finish, the same works that I do, bear witness of me, that the Father hath sent me." Acts 2:22 says, "Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know:"
4. Jesus even mentions at the end of John 5, verses 45-46, that Moses bears witness of Him as well, "Do not think that I will accuse you to the Father: there is one that accuseth you, even Moses, in whom ye trust. For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me: for he wrote of me."
5. He also tells them the Scriptures bear witness of who He is. This is what I want to focus on today. He says in John 5:39, "Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me." Ironically, they had it available to them; they even read it, but didn't understand it or didn't want to take time to understand it. John 5:38 says, "And ye have not his word abiding in you: for whom he hath sent, him ye believe not." They did not investigate the Scriptures, as the word "search" suggests. 1 John 5:11 says, "And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son." In the same chapter, verse 13 says, "These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God." On the side of this page in my Bible I have in big letters, "God's Word is My Record!"
On our first night of Seedline Scripture Work Week, we will assemble John and Romans for our community. The following day, we will go out door to door in our community and bear witness of what Jesus has done in our lives. We will be able to use those same John and Romans to encourage someone to search the Scriptures and show them what He can do in their lives. Maybe we would even have an opportunity to search them together. Unlike other countries, Bibles are readily available in the United States. But similar to Bible times, many people don't understand it or don't want to take time to understand it. We are simplifying it with a marked edition to show them what God's Word says about who Jesus is and what He has done for them.
We will also have the same opportunity to help others search the Scriptures that week by assembling French John and Romans, and whole Bibles, for missionary Bob Mach who serves in the Ivory Coast. I look forward to seeing you and your family at Seedline Scripture Work Week!
|Written by Chad Robinson
February 13, 2018